September 8, 2016

Sand

Dan Jira - 9/8/2016

Three weeks ago,
I picked you up,
My handful of sand.


And like a delighted child,
I brought it everywhere,
Showing off
My handful of sand.


For the two weeks,
We were together,
We knew from the beginning,
That it would never last.
But I never thought
That it would be so soon.


I carried it around
For as long as I could,
Until I brought it to the water,
And the currents washed away
My handful of sand.


When the long weekend ended,
And I saw you again,
I smiled,
But you didn’t look at me
Like you did the weeks before.


And when I brought it up,
The river of life had caught up,
Between prior commitments,
Classes and their work,
It had washed you away too.


And just like when I was a child,
I wade in the river,
Kneeling, and searching
For my handful of sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment