Previously, I have written a poem about the thoughts that keep me awake at night. It is the poem titled "Deafened." In this poem, I briefly describe some of the loudest things of a particular day, and how they are all brash and cacophonous, but yet the loudest part of the day is in the silence when my thoughts are keeping me awake. Well, I decided to listen to these thoughts last night, and after watching this video by Vsauce, I had a thought.
In this video, Michael tells us about the Banach - Tarski Paradox, and how that there are an infinite number of numbers. And that how there is something called "countable infinity", which is the number of integers because you could technically count forever, and something called "uncountable infinity" which is the amount of real numbers between two integers, such as 0 and 1. Michael goes into it way deeper than I ever could, and because of this I suggest watching the video before continuing on with this.
My thought is this. There are only 10 numbers, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Every number past nine is just a sequence of the original ten numbers. However, this also lets the strings of sequences of numbers be infinite in length. At the same time, I believe that all of the real numbers between integers are configured in the same pattern as the infinite sequences of numbers.
I realize that this may not make sense, but remember, I am not a math major, and have no idea if this is actually already a theory or not. All I do know is that this is a thought which kept me awake last night, and that I am unable to put my thoughts into proper words. This is one of those things in which I will keep with me for a while until I am able to ask somebody who knows more than I do about it. On that note, anybody know of anyone with a PhD in math or theoretical math that would be willing to have a conversation?
No comments:
Post a Comment