So I was playing a game the other night, and in this game, there was a mechanic where you could sell things, in groups of 1, 2, 5, or 10. And well, this got me thinking. And after a while, I got distracted and completely forgot about what I was thinking about. However, when I went to bed that night, and as I was laying there, I remembered, and thought about it some more. This is what I came up with.
5 is actually an even number. Not in the mathematical sense of even numbers, no, in that way it is most definitely an odd number. However, in the sense of perception, I perceive 5 to be an even number. (My logic for this is not sound in any terms, however, everyone I have conferred with about this has tended to agree.) When you look at an even number, they look smooth, and just pleasant to look at. When you look at an odd number, you see them as brash, with corners and hard edges whereas even number do not have these visual characteristics. Sure, my whole argument may be based on the aesthetics of the numbers themselves, but I do believe that it is a valid point. (And no, I am not going to argue that an upside-down 5 is a 2.)
Because of this, I have a proposition. Instead of changing the classification of 5 from an odd to an even number, because it does not work in terms of mathematics, I humbly suggest that we classify it as we do the letter "y." The letter "y" has a constant identity crisis and does not know whether or not it is a vowel or a consonant. Because of this, and phonetics, it can be both because it has properties of both. Just like the 5 has the mathematical properties of being an odd number, but the aesthetic property of the even numbers.
No comments:
Post a Comment